KUALA LUMPUR: The Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour is aiming to make a comeback in September now that the feud between them and the Professional Golfers Association of Malaysia (PGAM) looks to have been “settled”.
The commencement of the Tour had been stalled because of the PGM‘s refusal to pay the sanctioning fee imposed by the PGAM. Since the Tour’s inception in 2010, it has been run without sanction from the PGAM.
However, the PGAM amended their constitution to enforce the sanction fee on the Tour. The PGAM wanted to charge the PGM 3% of the total prize money offered in each tournament, but the PGM have refused to accept the demand.
The tournaments are offering lucrative purses of between RM200,000 for closed events (for local players) and RM225,000 for Asian Development Tour jointly-sanctioned event.
This impasse led to the PGM failing to secure a licence from the Sports Commissioner Office (SCO) to operate the Tour this season.
But the two parties have apparently resolved their differences after Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican stepped in.
Both PGM chairman Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid and PGAM president Valrick Harris Zainal Abidin had separate meetings with Reezal in recent weeks.
PGM general-manager Nik Mustapha Nik Mohamed said they would announce their 2020 calendar on Aug 19, with their priority being holding ADT events which offer world ranking points.
“We can finally start running tournaments again in September should the government open our border following the RMCO… all I can say is that the licence won’t be an issue, ” said Nik Mustapha, without elaborating on the deal between them and PGAM.
“We are planning a few ADT events for the rest of the season, hopefully once a month.
“Our aim is to get a second Malaysian golfer to qualify for the Olympics. At the moment, it seems (national No.1) Gavin (Kyle Green) is on the right track. But players like Nicholas Fung and Ben Leong still have chances to qualify too.”