Negri health authorities deny claims that dead Covid-19 patient’s jewellery was stolen by hospital staff

SEREMBAN: The health authorities here have denied a 31-year-old man’s claim that jewellery worn by his mother when she was admitted to the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital to be treated for Covid-19 was stolen.

State Health director Datin Dr Harlina Abdul Rashid said a probe by the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital showed that the jewellery had been kept safely by its staff.

“Our probe showed that the jewellery never went missing.

“In fact, it was returned to the woman’s next-of-kin at 4.30pm today,” she said on Tuesday (Jan 26).

Dr Harlina said the woman’s family was satisfied with the hospital’s explanation during a meeting on Tuesday evening.

The woman’ son had lodged a police report on Monday (Jan 25), claiming that his mother’s jewellery was not returned to the family when they went to collect her remains.

In his report, T. Narenthiran had claimed that his mother was taken to the hospital around 3pm on Sunday (Jan 24) after developing fever and breathing difficulties, but died a few hours later.

Narenthiran, who works as a technician in Port Dickson, claimed he was accompanied by his sister Sharmely.

In his report, he claimed that his mother was wearing a gold chain or thali weighing around 30g and worth around RM7,500, earrings worth RM1,750, three bracelets and a ring.

However, when he went to the hospital to claim his mother’s remains, he was only given a gold ring.

Narenthiran said in his report that he suspects that his mother’s jewellery was stolen by hospital staff.

He also claimed that he was initially given the remains of an unidentified man, instead of his mother’s.

Narenthiran claimed his mother’s remains were in another hearse and had been handed over to another family.

He had urged the police to probe the hospital staff for being negligent.

Dr Harlina said the woman’s remains were handed over to the family after an identification process on Monday.

Source link

Leave a Reply